Earlier this month, 10 Genuine employees spanning many departments and disciplines had the unique opportunity to unite as female professionals and attend AdClub’s 9th annual Women’s Leadership Forum – an event dedicated to recognizing and honoring influential individuals for their leadership qualities and accomplishments. Over 1,100 women and a handful of men packed a full house at the Seaport World Trade Center in Boston for a night that featured raw, unfiltered, honest, and empowering stories delivered by inspirational women across diverse industries and occupations.
Following the event, which had a profound impact on the group, the Genuine employees in attendance gathered to share their thoughts, takeaways and overall reaction to the Women’s Leadership Forum.
“Career paths and success stories are never linear, they’re a mix of opportunities and risks. Keep an open mind, push your own limits, and be confident in yourself even if it’s something you have never tried before.” – HR Executive
“A completely different kind of women’s event – each speaker was extremely unique. As someone just starting my career, it made me realize that success can be measured in several facets and becoming a successful woman doesn’t require following certain norms.” – Account Executive
“The women who spoke onstage didn’t harp on the men or women they surpassed in their respective fields to define their success. Instead, they spoke of the relationships they fostered and the chances they took to provide value to their own lives and the lives of others. Each presenter was fully aware that her success couldn’t be defined by one person or experience.” – Social Analyst
“The day featured incredibly inspiring speakers, moving speeches, positive and supportive energy. Having the opportunity to experience such an impactful forum was a refreshing reminder of the power we wield working in creative media and how we can institute positive change.” – Associate Creative Director
Finally, an executive in our UX department organized her thoughts into six key themes:
“There were so many takeaways from the event, which was extremely moving and motivating.
- Be confident: Say “yes” even if you’re unsure of your skills. “Fake it till ya make it,” as they say.
- Don’t take no for an answer: Think about ways around a problem and never settle.
- Let your voice be heard: Speak your mind and voice your ideas and opinions.
- Your career is not a linear path: Success isn’t about following a predetermined path. It’s a result of saying yes, pushing yourself to new and uncomfortable places.
- Understand and embrace your emotions: You should think about what you are feeling and the source of those feelings. They’re a great indicator to as to whether or not you’re doing something you love or hate.
- Be your unique self and do something you believe in: It’s imperative to draw attention to issues that matter most to you throughout your career. If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.”
The impact AdClub’s Women’s Leadership Forum had on Genuine attendees was lasting, to say the least. Even after the event had come and gone, there were pieces of conversation (related to the forum) echoing throughout the walls of the our Boston headquarters. For those who have not had the opportunity to experience this unique event, it is truly an empowering event well worth attending. We’re all looking forward to seeing what next year will bring! For a more detailed recap of the Women’s Leadership Forum, check out AdClub’s Josh Boyle’s recap: